So. Much. Pink.
On the first Monday in December, there was an inordinate amount of pink in schools throughout one midwestern town. Although it was the beginning of the holiday season and the typical colors would be red and green, these students were wearing pink in memory of a high school student who was killed by a drunk driver over the weekend.
Traveling to a high school show choir event in a car with his father, the pink loving young man was killed when a drunk driver ran a light and plowed into the victim’s car. As an obvious admission of guilt, the unscathed drunk driver jumped out his car and ran. Tracked down a couple of blocks later within a short period of time, the driver was arrested and the reports indicated that he had two previous drunk driving offenses.
In this case, the DUI diversion program requirements were met the last time the driver had been arrested. After a third offense, this one including a vehicular homicide and fleeing a scene, the driver likely cannot find DUII diversion attorneys who can be of any help.
Finding the Right Attorney Can Help You Understand the Options That Are Available
Even the most guilty offenders deserve an attorney who will help them see what options are available. The best DUII diversion attorneys can help their clients get the help that they need. Consider these other facts and figures about drunk driving statistics and the number of people who are affected by this crime:
- An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before the first arrest.
- 10.3 million people in 2013 reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs in the past year.
- Although this age group is responsible for 17% of fatal alcohol-related crashes, only 10% of licensed drivers are under 21, yet .
- Even though fewer than 4,000 are arrested, each day people drive drunk almost 300,000 times.
- Limits can vary from state to state, but in the state of Oregon the operation of a motor vehicle is prohibited by a driver with a .08 percent or above blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
If you are reading this article, it is very likely that your life has been touched by a drunk driving experience. In most cases, an experienced attorney has been involved in the resulting court case.