Most people do not think they are going to be injured at work. Unfortunately, many people are injured every year while at work. In 2013, there were about 3 million injuries sustained in private industry companies. Approximately, 125.8 million people were covered by federal and state workers compensation laws in 2011. These programs cover all of a worker’s medical costs and provide cash payments for lost wages. Workers need to wait between three to seven days before they can get those payments. In many cases, people need to hire a workers compensation law firm to get access to those benefits.
- Talk to people you know. When you are looking for any kind of product or service, the first place you should start is with the people in your life that you trust. If someone else at your workplace has been injured, you should ask them what workers compensation law firm they talked to. You should also talk to your family members and friends whom you trust about any experiences they have had with any workers compensation lawyers. It is great when you get the same recommendation from two people independently of each other. Remember, your case may be very different from theirs so you may not end up hiring the same law firm. This can get your started with a good list.
- Contact legal organizations. Your state bar association should be able to help you when you are looking for any kind of lawyer. Nolo and the American Bar Association can also serve as resources in your search for the right workers compensation law firm.
- Take advantage of the free first consultation. Law firms of all stripes offer prospective clients with a free fist consultation. This is the way they get to know you and you get to know them. It is a totally normal part of the way they do business so you should really take advantage of this. They can let you know what they think of your case. You can also get a sense of what it is like to work with them. Make sure you talk to at least three workers compensation law firms before you hire anyone. It is important to see what your options are before you hire anyone.
- Have a list of questions. You have to make sure all of you questions are answered. If the workers compensation lawyer is not interested in answering your questions before you become a client, you can be sure they are not going to be available after you hire them. Here are some questions you should ask:
- How much experience do you have with this kind of case? You need someone with a decent amount of experience working on workers compensation cases.
- Who will be working on my case? Law firms hire a variety of legal professionals to help handle a lot of the paperwork for these cases. You should be able to meet these people in addition to the main attorney on your case.
- Will I be able to talk to my lawyer? When you have questions, you need to know who will answer them.
- Make sure you understand what you will be paying and what it will be for. Every law firm has its own way to do its billing. Some firms do not charge a fee unless they win but there can be other costs that you will be responsible for. Make sure you understand all of the fees and the process before you hire anyone.
Some people are not sure why they need help from workers compensation attorneys but it is a complicated process. Also, not all cases are as easy to prove. If you were injured at the business itself, with lots of people looking on, you may not need help from a workers compensation law firm but that is not the only situation where people are injured at work. For example, if you are making a delivery for your job and are hurt, it might be harder to prove that you were hurt while doing your job. The right law firm can make all the difference with the success of your workers compensation claim.